Изображения страниц

scriptions. The Rev. T. E. Rawlings is labouring at this station with encouraging signs of success. This report was received with satisfaction, and the case of Congleton again confided to the Home Mission Committee, with the request that other churches in the Conference will cordially help them in their praiseworthy efforts.

2. The Home Mission Committee reported favourably concerning the union of the Audlem and Nantwich churches under the pastorate of Rev. E. K. Everett, who began his labours in November, 1869. Since then the congregations have increased, and our friends at Nantwich are hoping soon to build a new chapel, of which they are much in need. This report was cordially approved, and the case of Audlem and Nantwich was anew commended to the H. M. C.

3. That we earnestly advise the churches to make such efforts as they are able on or before Whit-Sunday, June 5, in behalf of the Centenary Fund; and that June 7 be set apart and observed as a time of special prayer.

4. That we recommend the churches in this Conference to present written rather than verbal reports.

5. That in case there be time, from half-an-hour to an hour be spent after the business is done in discussing some subject affecting the welfare of the churches, and that the topic be announced at the preceding Conference.

N.B.-The subject for next Conference was left in the hands of the H. M. C.

6. That our best thanks be given to the Rev. T. E. Rawlings for his useful sermon.

7. Next Conference will be at Congleton, April 4. Rev. E. K. Everett will preach, or in case of failure Rev. W. March.

In the evening Rev. E. K. Everett preached an excellent sermon from the words, "A man of sorrows."-Isaiah liii. 3. WILLIAM MARCH, Secretary.


SPALDING COMMON.-New General Baptist Centenary Chapel.-About two years ago several young men of the Baptist church, Spalding, distributed tracts on the Common. They were greatly encouraged, and began to preach in the open air. This led first to the hiring of a wheelwright's shop, and then to the use of a room over a bakehouse, kindly lent. Much good was done, and it was felt very desirable to build a chapel. After many disappointments a site was obtained, and in March Mr. H. Varley preached on behalf of the proposed new chapel, and £26 were collected. On the 4th of April the Rev. J. C. Jones, M.A., laid the foundation stone, and Rev. W. Orton delivered an address. About £147

have been received in cash and promises. The building will cost about £260. It is hoped that the chapel will be opened free of debt in September.-J. T. ATTON, Hon. Sec. HURSTWOOD, near Burnley.—New General Baptist Chapel. One or two families living in this quiet village were members of and worshipped at the Baptist church, Vale, near Todmorden. With a devotion far too scarce in these days, they walked regularly, winter and summer, to Vale, a distance of five miles, for the Sabbath, and frequently for the week-day services of religion. The failing strength of one aged Christian at length suggested the necessity of a place of worship nearer home. The church at Vale was consulted in the matter, and on Oct. 28, 1862, it was decided that these friends should accept the offer of an upper room in a farm house. This was done. The room was at once fitted up for worship, and there the little society has increased as a branch church from the original number of eleven to the present one of twenty-seven members. The Sunday school established at the same time with sixteen scholars now numbers fifty. Hence the necessity that they should arise and build. By a careful husbanding of resources for a few years past, and with a noble generosity, these twenty-seven working people, before appealing at all to outside friends, have raised £160; and on Good Friday the foundation stone was laid of a building intended to cost £500. The Rev. J. Fletcher, pastor of the church, presided; Rev. G. W. Oldring offered prayer; Rev. T. Horsfield, architect of the building, gave an address. W. Shakleton, Esq., then laid the memorial stone, and was followed by a speech from Rev. R. Ingham.

NOTTINGHAM, Stoney Street.-The foundation stone of the New School-rooms was laid on Easter Tuesday by C. Seely, Jun., Esq., M.P. Dr. Underwood prayed, and Mr. Seely delivered an interesting address. The Revs. W. R. Stevenson, M.A., and J. Morley Wright also took part in the ceremony. B. Walker, Esq., presided at the public meeting in the evening; and the Revs. C. S. Slater, M.A., W. Woods, J. M. Wright, and W. R. Stevenson, M.A., gave addresses. The collection, &c.,

amounted to more than £20. The schools will accommodate six hundred scholars, and cost £736.

LONDON, Praed Street.-The site for a new chapel has at length been obtained at a cost of £2560. It is freehold, in an admirable position, surrounded by a dense population in a neighbourhood where a Baptist chapel is needed. It is in the main thoroughfare of Westbourne Park Place, close to the Harrow Road, and about three quarters of a mile from the

[blocks in formation]

GOOD FRIDAY MEETINGS. KIRTON-IN-LINDSEY.-Tea meeting. 160 present. Lecture by Rev. G. H. Trapp, of Mundesley, Norfolk, on "Sermons in Candles." Pastor in the chair.

FLEET.-Annual tea meeting. Three brethren were set apart to the deacon's office by prayer and the laying on of hands. Rev. W. Orton delivered the charge to them, and the pastor, the Rev. F. Chamberlain, and the Revs. T. S. Purser and J. E. Moore gave addresses.

GREAT GRIMSBY.-Tea meeting. Rev. R. Smart, pastor, presided at the public meeting, and several friends gave addresses.


SWADLINCOTE. Annual tea meeting. Pastor presided. Addresses were delivered as follows: Rev. B. Frankland on the Necessity for Christian union to combat the errors of the times." Rev. D. Maccallum, "The present aspect of Christianity." Rev. J. W. Winspear, "The Christian's choice." Rev. W. Dyson, "The oneness of the church in its various sections." Mr. Cholerton, "Counsel to church members."


REV. J. ALCORN.-It is our unpleasant duty to have to record the removal from amongst us of the pastor of Enon chapel. For a period of nine years Mr. Alcorn has laboured in connection with this church with a considerable degree of success, and we believe with the entire sympathy and good feeling of its members, which good feeling and sympathy were warmly reciprocated by Mr. Alcorn, who found it one of the most difficult tasks he ever undertook to tear himself from the midst of those whose affections he had so long enjoyed. When the resignation of Mr. Alcorn was announced to the church and congregation, it was received with astonishment and regret, and they did not give up their hold of him until the last moment; and we believe it was late on the Saturday evening before they lost all hopes of retain

ing his services. Then the question was asked if anything could be done to prevent his removal, but this has proved unavailing, for Mr. Alcorn has removed to his new sphere of usefulness at Loughborough. As proof of the success which has attended the labours of Mr. Alcorn during nine years, we may state that 200 members have been added, a debt of £800 cleared off, and the place has been renovated, painted, and improved. The congregation, anxious to show to some extent the high estimation in which the pastor was held, met on Saturday, April 2, and presented him with a beautiful silver tea service and a large and handsome portrait of himself. Mr. R. Law made the presentation, and expressed great regret at the removal of Mr. Alcorn, and that if at that extreme moment anything could be done to prevent it, he should be very happy to do it. The rev. gentleman acknowledged the presents in suitable terms. On Sunday evening, April 3, Mr. Alcorn preached his farewell sermon from Col. i. 28. There was a crowded audience, persons from nearly all the dissenting places of worship in the town being present. Mr. Alcorn has been to some extent a public man, and has not generally been behind-hand in lending his aid to those public movements which aimed at the improvement of society.-Burnley Gazette.

REV. J. BATEY, late of Daybrook, Notts, was recognized as pastor of the church, New Town, Upper Norwood, March 24. J. Tritton, Esq., presided. Rev. J. W. Richardson offered prayer. E. J. Everett, Esq., deacon, described the circumstances which led to the invitation of Mr. Batey, and said the congregations had doubled since he came to New Town. Mr. Batey then stated his reasons for accepting the invitation. Rev. Mr. Sylvester prayed, and addresses were delivered by the Revs. C. Graham, W. K. Lea, R. Lewis, and J. W. Richardson.-On leaving Daybrook Mr. Batey was presented with a beautiful ebony fourteen days' timepiece, as a token of respect, and in appreciation of his efforts, by the members of his Bible Classes. The Rev. W. R. Stevenson, M.A., presided, and several deacons and friends from Broad Street, Nottingham, addressed the meeting. J. S. Wells, Esq., of Arnot Hill, presented the testimonial.

REV. JOHN BELL, late a Free Methodist missionary in Jamaica, was one of the candidates for baptism on April 3 at St. Benedict's Square, Lincoln. His views on the subject of baptism have recently undergone a change, and as he could not conscientiously continue to exercise all the functions of a Methodist minister, and moreover felt it his duty to seek Christian baptism by immersion, he applied to the

church at the above place for the same. Before the administration of the rite, Mr. Bell stated in a very forcible and convincing address the reasons which induced him to take such a step. He handled the subject of baptism ably, evincing such a comprehensive acquaintance with it as proved that deep and anxious research and thought led him to the adoption of the primitive faith and practice. Mr. Bell has received a call to the pastorate of the church at Bilston, Northamptonshire, and enters on his labours the 1st of May.

REV. W. DYSON, of Measham, has accepted a very cordial and unanimous invitation to the pastorate of the church at Wirksworth, and will begin his ministry there on the 1st of May.

REV. R. INGHAM.-A number of friends who valued Mr. Ingham's ministry in connection with North Parade church, Halifax, have felt desirous of presenting him with some expression of their esteem and regard; and as Mr. Ingham has published a valuable work on Baptism at a great pecuniary sacrifice to himself, and is also engaged in another work on the same subject, it was felt most appropriate that the present, however small, should be given in money. Accordingly on Tuesday, April 19, John Hutchinson, Esq., along with Messrs. D. Wilson, S. Law, and M. Stocks, handed over to him, on behalf of the donors, a purse containing the sum of £36 5s., and stating that the good wishes of many would follow him to his new sphere of labour.

[blocks in formation]


BOOTH.-Elizabeth Booth died Dec. 12, 1869, aged 96. She was the oldest member of the church at Halifax, and was present at the opening of the chapel at Haley Hill in 1777. She was long privileged and honoured as the child of parents passed into the skies. Her father was for many years pastor of a small Baptist church near Huddersfield, long since extinct. From Halifax to near Huddersfield the good man was accustomed weekly and yearly to go and gratuitously preach the glorious gospel of the blessed God. The subject of this notice has not experienced the vicissitudes of relationship and circumstances through which some pass. The time however came when the ability to support herself ceased.


was then encouraged and assisted by her sister to put her trust in God. And He

who fed Elijah by the ravens directed an honoured manufacturer of this town to a knowledge of the necessities of these aged and worthy sisters; and an arrangement for weekly sustenance was promptly made, which, like the miraculous supply for the prophet, continued as long as needed. After the sister's decease, a married nephew resided with Miss Booth and supplied all her wants. She was a decided G. B., placing trust in Christ alone for salvation, and enjoying peace through believing. She could read the oracles of God almost to the last. These were to her a precious treasure, while she also took great delight in the hymn book and certain magazines. Her death was appropriately improved by her pastor on Dec. 17, from Isaiah xlvi. 4. Her life greatly encourages to serve the Lord and to trust in Him. The longest

life is comparatively short. The end is sure, and is approaching. Let the choice of each be that expressed by the poet:"With willing heart and active hands, Lord, I would practise thy commands, Improve the moments as they fly. And live as I would wish to die."

R. I.

COLTMAN.-Mary Coltman was born at Fleckney, May 8, 1787, and died there, Jan. 17, 1870, aged eighty-two years. When young, there being no other place of worship in the village, she attended the parish church, but the formal ceremonies and un. evangelical preaching did not benefit her. In 1809 the G. B. cause was commenced in the village, and she heard and believed the word, and in May, 1811, was, with her late husband, Thomas Coltman, (see G. B. R. 1849), baptized, and added to the church, and from that time to the end of her life was the unswerving friend of the church. When the chapel was built, in 1813, she was deeply interested in the undertaking, and for many years delighted to act as chapel-keeper. For a long time she was a diligent S. S. teacher. Her place in the sanctuary, both at the public services, the Lord's table, the church-meetings, and week-evening prayer meetings, was seldom vacant, except through affliction. She was an ardent lover of the Orissa Mission, and, though poor, always contributed cheerfully to the cause of Christ both at home and abroad. During the last forty years she suffered much through feeble health, and was often severely tried by poverty; but she knew whom she had believed. On Feb. 6, 1868, she was seized with paralysis, and suffered from the stroke for more than sixteen months; but her hope in Christ was never once shaken. She was not perfect, but deeply deplored her errors. As a wife, a mother, a church member, and a neighbour, it would be well both for the church and the world if there were many more like her. On Lord's-day, Feb. 6, her death was improved in a sermon by an old friend, Mr. J. Hawley, of Leicester, to a very large congregation, from the text she had chosen many years before-2 Tim. i. 12.

G. C.

PROUDMAN.-Ruth Proudman was the wife of Mr. Proudman, farmer, Thrussington, Leicestershire. In 1842 she became a regular attendant at the Baptist chapel in that village. Before long she heard the word of God to profit, and was in deep distress about the salvation of her soul. After a while she found peace with God through faith in Christ. In those days she feelingly said of Christ" He loved me and gave Himself for me." Her sorrow was turned into joy; and on August 7th of the same year she was baptized. The genuineness of her conversion was discovered in the uniform consistency of her life. At

this time her beloved husband, a consistent member of the Established Church in that village, offered his house as a home for any of the local preachers whenever any of them thought well to go; and a better ordered household was never seen. The house, the farm, and the sanctuary received the devoted attentions of both husband and wife. But the honey was mixed with gall. Eighteen years ago the exemplary husband was laid aside by a severe affliction which terminated in his death, and a widow and four young children were left to lament his removal. Then in a new relationship our sister claimed her interest in the widow's God, and besought Him to be a Father to her fatherless children; and all the wise and thoughtful who have observed her, among her children, her servants, her labourers, must have seen that she has not served God for nought. She successfully applied to the owner of the farm to be allowed to hold it on for the support of herself and family, and from that time to her death, with the assistance of her sous, her management gave the owner entire satisfaction. In the church the moral power of our sister did not only never decline, but shone brighter and brighter until she finished her course in peace, Dec. 23, 1869. Her hope in Christ never lost its hold in her severe affliction. Her unblemished deportment enlisted many to hear the gospel for themselves; and in her office as treasurer of the church she gave great satisfaction. Her life was upright, and her end was peace.

SMITH.-Edward Smith was born at Thurlby, near Bourne, on the 21st of October, 1793. As he went to school at Bourne, and also served his apprenticeship there, he was enabled to attend the ministry of the late Mr. Binns, which was blessed to his spiritual good. He was baptized by Mr. Binns on Dec. 20, 1812. He soon removed to Peterborough, and united with the church there, and remained a member until death. For many years he filled the office of a deacon, and was always willing, in any way he could, to help the cause of Christ, although naturally of a retiring disposition, and having the most humbling views of his own attainments. His meekness of spirit and consistency of conduct won for him general esteem. The last five years of his life were spent at Thorney, and the distance from Peterborough, con.bined with failing health, prevented him from meeting often with the Christian friends with whom he had been so long and happily associated. He died on the 22nd of January, 1870, and his funeral sermon was preached by Mr. Barrass from Acts xxi. 16-" An old disciple."

[ocr errors]

Missionary Observer.



THE following resolutions in reference to the method of the election of the Missionary Committee were adopted at the annual committee meeting at Sheffield last year.

1. That it be understood that subscribers and delegates of subscribing churches shall be considered eligible to attend and vote at the Annual Committee Meeting held during the Association.

2. That the lay portion of the Committee shall consist of twenty brethren, to be elected annually; sixteen of them at the meeting above mentioned, and four by the new committee.

3. That all subscribers shall be eligible to serve on the Committee whose names shall have been sent to the Secretary a fortnight before the Annual Committee Meeting is held, by subscribers or by subscribing churches.

4. That on the day of election printed lists of the parties nominated shall be distributed in the meeting, from which the votes shall be taken, and a majority of the votes then given shall decide the election.

5. That notice of the time for nominating members of the Committee be annually inserted in the May number of the Magazine.

6. That all ministers of the Connexion who are subscribers, or whose congregations subscribe, shall be members of the Committee as heretofore.

It will be seen from the above resolutions that in future instead of three members only retiring each year, the whole Committee will retire, and that sixteen of the new members will be elected at the Annual Committee Meeting. That meeting will be held this year at the Dover Street chapel, on the afternoon of Tuesday, June 21. Any subscriber or subscribing church may nominate any number of gentlemen to serve on the Committee. It is, however, very important that no one should be nominated who is not known to be willing to serve, if elected. The balloting list will consist of the names sent in, and they must be in the hands of the Rev. J. C. Pike on or before Tuesday, the 7th of June. No name can be placed on the list after that day.

CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE MISSION.-SPECIAL NOTICE. THE accounts for the year close on May 31st. It is particularly requested that all sums to be acknowledged in the next Report may be forwarded to the Treasurer or Secretaries on or before that day. In cases where the annual subscriptions have not been collected, will the collectors kindly attend to them at the beginning instead of the end of the month?



Cuttack, March 25th, 1870. AGAIN the hand of the Lord is upon us, and we are in great anxiety and sorrow. Brother Miller is seriously ill it is an affection of the liver, and the doctor says that his return to England is absolutely necessary, and that he should return at once, as his staying through the hot season, which is just at hand, would be attended with danger. This painful affliction has come upon us suddenly and

unexpectedly, and we can only say, "the will of the Lord be done." I need not say a word as to the urgency of this call for more missionaries to be sent to Orissa. God is speaking, and when God speaks man must "be still" and reverently listen. It is as plain as any thing not revealed in the Bible and to be learnt from the dispensations of Providence can be, that the voice of God in the events of the last two or three years affecting the Mission has been, "Send us help: send us help: send it soon:" but the cry has been till now unheeded. I have been much

« ПредыдущаяПродолжить »