Изображения страниц

and unhealthiness of the place. We were soon joined by the small steamer which plies between Cuttack and the anchorage, conveying the other Brooks's family, and towing a large luggage boat containing all the baggage of our friends. Next morning we also were taken in tow by the steamer, and had a speedy and very pleasant run amidst the wild and beautiful scenery of the river to the first lock of the canal. Having reached the third lock of the canal, I had to leave the boat, and make my way to Kendarapara, where three of the native brethren were awaiting my arrival. From a letter received this morning, I learn the whole party reached Cuttack the evening of Saturday, Dec. 4, all well.

My journey to this place was anything but pleasant. It was dark when we started, and the man engaged to show us the way missed the path, and led us through newly ploughed fields, whose high thorn and often mud fences had with much difficulty to be breached before we could proceed. Instead of being an hour we were five hours, and reached our destination at midnight. This is a large and important village, and has a Government English and Oriya school, a native doctor and dispensary, a deputy magistrate, and a large police establishment. It has also two very wealthy zemindars. Large markets are held in and near the village almost every day in the week, hence we find plenty to do. I was delighted this morning to hear a man going along the road singing one of our hymns. The inspector of police here and his wife are both members of the Cuttack church. She is the only surviving daughter of our late preacher Ram Chundra. He is a good officer, and much respected by all who know him. His hospitality toward all with ine is unbounded. He insists on the native preachers having all their meals at his house while they are here.

Yesterday afternoon we had service in my tent. I had a large congregation, which included the inspector and his wife, and a young man belonging to the police. This morning I called on Ram Babu, one of the zemindars. He is said to be immensely rich. He is a young man, plain and unassuming in his appearance and manner. He seemed pleased to see me, and listened with attention while I made known to him and his attendants the leading truths of christianity. He would have me go on

to the roof of his large house, whence we had a splendid view of the surrounding country. He had just purchased (for 1300 rupees) for his little son a young elephant about six feet high. He appeared much interested in what I told him of the famine orphans, and offered land on which to locate them. I have engaged on my return journey, if possible, to visit it, and ascertain whether it will answer our purpose. To-morrow we leave for Patamundee, thence to Alee, which will be the limit of this tour.

A TRIO OF WORTHIES. (Continued from page 32.)

A PIOUS clergyman the Rev. Thomas Robinson, Vicar of St. Mary's, asked Carey on one occasion if he approved of drawing away persons from churches where the gospel was preached. With true nobility of spirit, Carey promptly replied, "I had rather be the instrument of converting a scavenger that sweeps the streets, than of merely proselyting the richest characters in your congregation." His labours at Leicester were a still further preparation for his after career, and the missionary flame continued to burn within his soul. Neither his labours nor successes in the ministry, nor the repeated discouragements and disappointments that he met with from his brethren, could divert his mind from the duty of sending the gospel to the heathen. The aged and more influential ministers tried to dissuade him from so visionary a scheme, this only led him to press the subject with greater earnestness upon his younger brethren. May, 1792, the association was held at Nottingham, and Carey was the preacher. His text was from Isaiah liv. 2, 3, "Enlarge the place of thy tent," &c. His two divisions, and the two principles that he enforced from this text were


I. Expect great things from God. II. Attempt great things for God. It was a most earnest and powerful sermon-and yet, when the ministers came to deliberate on the subject, they were again full of doubt and hesitation, and were about to separate without doing anything. Carey seized Mr. Fuller by the hand and expostulated with him; the result was a resolution to prepare a plan for the establishment of a Society against the next ministers' meeting Kettering, in October.

[blocks in formation]

as was this sum, it proved to be the precursor of hundreds of thousands of pounds that has since been laid upon the missionary altar. On the strength of this first subscription Mr. Carey engaged to become the first agent of the society, and to embark for any country which they might choose.

Mr. Carey, and Mr. John Thomaswho was a surgeon and had lived some years in India-were accepted by the Society. The church at Leicester was willing to give up their beloved pastor for the work, and on March 20th farewell services of a very affecting character were held. Two striking incidents may be mentioned here. The seraphic Samuel Pearce, of Birmingham, was most anxious to be engaged as a missionary, but his church would not give him up, and God took him to heaven. The church at Leicester gave up William Carey, and God sent them Robert Hall, and has blessed them with steady prosperity ever since.

Mrs. Carey had no sympathy with the work, and refused to accompany her husband. He resolved to take with him his eldest son, and return for his wife and family as soon as the mission was established. A passage was engaged in the Oxford, and the mission party proceeded to the Isle of Wight to wait for the vessel. When she arrived they hastened on board; but the captain had received an anonymous letter from London, warning him, at his peril, to take passengers unlicensed by the Company. They were compelled forthwith to disembark.

Mr. Carey and his companion returned to London dispirited and disappointed. In a few days the prospect began to brighten. A Danish East Indiaman, the Kron Princessa Maria was announced as shortly expected in Dover Roads. A passage was secured on most favourable terms, and Mrs. Carey, contrary to all expectation, was prevailed upon to ac

company her husband. In a few days after being ignominiously expelled the Oxford, Thomas, and Carey and his family, had re-embarked and were actually on their passage to India. The voyage was rendered agreeable by the great kindness of the captain; but poor Mrs. Carey, like Lot's wife, kept looking back until they passed the Cape, when it seemed too far to look back to Piddington, and her anxieties were turned in a forward direction, to a safe arrival in India. They landed at Calcutta, Nov. 11, 1793.

Carey's spirit in approaching the country that was to be the scene of his future toil is well expressed in his own graphic words: "I hope the Society will go on and increase, and that the multitudes of heathen in the world may hear the glorious words of truth. Africa is but a little way from England; Madagascar but a little way further; South America and all the numerous and large islands in the Indian and Chinese Seas, I hope, will not be passed over. A large field opens on every side, and millions of perishing heathens, tormented in this life by idolatry, superstition, and ignorance, and exposed to eternal miseries in the world to come, are pleading. Oh that many labourers may be thrust out into the vineyard of our Lord Jesus Christ."

Soon after their arrival in India they were reduced to great extremities. The pecuniary arrangements were entrusted to Mr. Thomas, as he was supposed to understand such matters, having already lived several years in the country; but he proved to be somewhat unthrifty and extravagant, or at any rate imprudent, in his expenditure. He commenced practice as a surgeon in Calcutta, and left poor Carey pretty much to shift for himself. The little money that was available quickly vanished. In a strange land, with a wife's sister, a wife, and four children, without a friend, without employment, and without funds, he found himself in greater straits than any he had known during the struggles of the past twenty years. At this time, also, he was cut to the quick by the discontent and upbraidings of Mrs. Carey. Allowance must be made for her-a mother, with a young family, subject to every discomfort, unable to speak a word of the language, brought to the verge of starvation, and who against her will had been persuaded to venture on this perilous enterprise. There is little doubt,

also, that the mental affliction from which she suffered in later years was beginning to develop itself. Mr. Carey determined, as soon as he could obtain a little money from Mr. Thomas, to go and settle in the Sunderbunds - a vast tract of jungle facing the Bay of Bengal, and stretching between the mouths of the Hooghly and the Ganges. Amidst all his distress he had not forgotten his great work. With Rambosoo as his companion and interpreter, he used daily to visit the places of public resort in Calcutta, and in the wretched hovel that he called a home he was diligently studying the Bengallee language.

At length, Feb. 4, 1794, he entered a boat, with his family and Rambosoo for a guide, for the wilderness. As Mr. Ward afterwards remarked, on visiting the neighbourhood, "Like the father of the faithful, he went out not knowing whither he went." One day, as they were rowing along the river, having only a single day's provision left, at a place called Dehatta, they espied a house which seemed to be English built. They all left the boat and walked up to the house. It proved to belong to Mr. Short, an assistant under Government in the salt department. Mr. Short received them with great cordiality; and Mr. Carey told him the object of his mission, and his present difficulties. Mr. Short had no conceit of the former, for he was an unbeliever; but he invited them to make his house their home for the next six months, or for a longer period, until they could provide suitable accommodation for themselves. Soon afterwards Carey proceeded to the opposite bank of the river, and began to build what he called his "huts," in a tract of land which had been cleared of the jungle. Population was scanty, but tigers abundant; and they had, within a few days, carried off more than twenty people from the immediate neighbourhood. "It was in this region of jungle and tigers and miasma, apart from all civilized and Christian associations, that Mr. Carey now planted the hopes of the mission." It was a most unsuitable locality, and he would very probably have died of fever in the rainy season had he remained. By a remarkable interposition of Providence he was rescued from this danger; and, through the influence of Mr. Thomas, who had not forgotten his solitary and disconsolate colleague, obtained a situation as superintendent of an indigo factory at

Mudnabatty, about thirty miles north of Malda; while Mr. Thomas was to take charge of another factory about sixteen miles further north. Mr. Udney, his employer, informed him that his monthly allowance would be two hundred rupees, or £20, with a small commission beside on the indigo manufactured. Mr. Carey and his family reached their new abode after a journey of two hundred and fifty miles, in the month of June. Shortly after he wrote home to the committee informing them that he could subsist without any further assistance from them, and requesting that the sum which he would have received might be appropriated to some other mission; but adding, "It will be my glory and joy, nevertheless, to stand in the same near relation to you, and to maintain the same correspondence with you, as if I needed your continued supplies."

Mudnabatty proved to be an unhealthy locality. In September Mr. Carey was prostrated by fever, which at one time endangered his life. A little boy five years old died of dysentery. Mrs. Carey, who for some months had been suffering from the same disorder, and was just recovering, was so deeply affected by the death of the child, that her mind gradually gave way, and from that time until the day of her death it was necessary to keep her under restraint.

(To be continued.)

THE DAWNING IN THE EAST. MADAGASCAR is not the only quarter of the missionary field from which unexpected news of encouragement reaches


It would seem as if at last the hour of fruition were at hand, when the sowers, having laboured for many years in doubt and discouragement, were to come home with joy, bringing their sheaves with them.

The two kings of Siam, who were crowned at the end of 1868, have recently given an audience to the American missionaries, to whom they promised both countenance and help: and public proclamation has been made that all their subjects, of whatever grade, are free to embrace Christianity if they choose to "without any manner of molestation in person or property."

do so,

From the sacred city of Benares, the stronghold of idolatry in Bengal, upon which the preaching of European missionaries for many years seems to have

produced literally no impression, the Rev. M. A. Sherring reports that a pundit has suddenly begun publicly to attack the teaching of the brahmins. Great crowds gather to listen as he explains that the Vedas give no countenance to idolatry, and that the Puranas which do are worthless. The excitement and fright of the brahmins are great, for they cannot answer their assailant; and one rich Hindoo is said to have been so impressed by the addresses of the reformer that he has destroyed the temples upon his lands.

At the same time comes news of several native Christians who have been engaged in evangelising itineraries with remarkable results. The Rev. Daoud Singh has manifested a special desire to itinerate in a purely native way as a Christian fakir. Moulvie Imaduddeen has shown a great talent and desire for pulpit ministrations, and for the compilation of books, which have been most favourably received, and have proved eminently useful. At Umritsir, Sadih has shown a special fitness for itinerations; John, and one or two others,

talents for bazaar preaching. The native apostolate that will evangelise India is thus in rapid development. The general tenor of the news from China also is satisfactory.

-English Independent.

RECENT BAPTISMS IN ORISSA. LORD'S-DAY, Nov. 21, Paul Singh baptized one candidate at Choga, after a sermon by Mr. Buckley from Mark xvi. 16.

Dec. 5, five females were baptized at Cuttack by Shem Sahu, after a sermon by Jagoo from 1 Peter ii. 24 The address in the afternoon to the newly baptized was founded on the words, "And now, little children, abide in Him."

On the same day five were baptized at Piplee, after a sermon by Makunda Das, and were received into the church in the afternoon by Mr. Bailey.

May they all stand fast in the Lord, and may He add many more who have experienced a gracious change to His flock in Orissa and other lands.


BERHAMPORE.-G. Taylor, Nov. 4. CUTTACK.-T. Bailey, Dec. 3.

CUTTACK.-J. Buckley, Dec. 3. 10. KENDARAPARA.-W. Miller, Dec. 6.


Received on account of the General Baptist Missionary Society, from
December 18, 1869, to January 18, 1870.

[blocks in formation]

Subscriptions and Donations in aid of the General Baptist Missionary Society will be thankfully received by T. HILL, Esq., Baker Street, Nottingham, Treasurer; and by the Rev. J. C. PIKE and the Rev. H. WILKINSON, Secretaries, Leicester, from whom also Missionary Boxes, Collecting Books, and Cards may be obtained.


1 6



1 1

1 0

2 10

[ocr errors]



MARCH, 1870.


No. II.


AFTER my conversation at tea with my General Baptist brother on the subject of baptism, I felt in my conscience that I had no scriptural basis for baby sprinkling, and that I would not repeat that ceremony till I could give a better reason for doing it. Some time afterwards I read Pengilly's excellent summary on the subject, and now all the cobwebs were swept utterly away. On account of the almost national bankruptcy of 1826, and the failure of the publishing house, whose business I conducted, I was for some time out of employment, when the thought struck me I would go up to London, where I found myself in the midst of strangers, and the commercial panic in its most gloomy form pervading the metropolis. I preached on my first Sunday for the Methodist New Connexion, and each succeeding Lord's-day, and the friends evinced great kindness towards me. After numerous difficulties I was very often engaged in preaching at the new chapel in Deverell Street, and here I was brought into closer acquaintance with the Baptists. In spending a night at Chatham, I saw, for the first time, the ordinance adminis


tered by Mr. Lewis, and heard his very convincing sermon on the subject. I was now also introduced to Mr. Farrant, the minister of our church in Suffolk Street, and often occupied his pulpit, and at length was baptized by him, with several other candidates.

An opening now appeared for full devotion to the ministerial work in an invitation to labour in Scotland with the Christian Union Mission, and I left for Leith, and entered on evangelical work there.

Before leaving London I had published my first work, "The Christian Sketch Book," which secured a sale of many thousands of copies. During my residence in London I had preached in the various pulpits of the Methodist New Connexion, and often in a small chapel in the district of Paddington. Here some of the leading friends afterward became General Baptists, and they formed the link of the providential chain in my being invited back to London. From Leith I removed to Perth, where I occupied the pastorate for about five years. Here I published my next two works, "The Christian Cabinet," and a volume of "Religious Anecdotes," and edited a monthly

« ПредыдущаяПродолжить »